A Mobility scooters, such as the 4 wheel mobility scooter, are power-operated vehicles that are controlled by a mechanical forward and backward switch – also known as tiller.
Older adults with mobility impairment can greatly benefit from the 4 wheel mobility scooter. Here are the 5 benefits of using the 4 wheel mobility scooter:
- This 4 wheel mobility scooter can be easily disassembled and assembled for easy transport;
- Battery-powered and the battery can easily be charged;
- Easy to operate as you need only to press the hand throttles and steer it by controlling the tiller (forward and backward switch) mechanism;
- This 4 wheel mobility scooter conserves your physical energy as this device needs a small amount of physical effort compared to walking or controlling a manual wheelchair; and
- This mobility aid allows you to travel to longer distances without the help of another person.
Mobility scooters are not ideal for all people with mobility impairment. The 4 wheel mobility scooter is only ideal if you exhibit the following:
-Good coordination and control of your hands and fingers to operate the scooter’s tiller steering mechanism;
-You can safety and independently stand up and sit down from a chair;
-You have a good balance when you sit; and
-You have a good control of your body trunk.